Cosmetic Surgery

2009 February 1
by Alexandra Funk

There are numerous things I could write about on this topic. For as long as I can remember I have felt very strongly in opposition to cosmetic surgery and I always viewed it as promoting an unhealthy choice for women who were the victims of unfair societal expectations. After reading The Accomplishment of Gender article I’m beginning to think I have beenĀ  a little hypocritical. But I’m not sure yet so hopefully some of you will be able to help me sort this out.

While I’ve always looked down on cosmetic surgery, (except of course in the case of reconstructive procedures for accidents, disease, etc.) I have never really thought of dental work as being cosmetic. This partly due to the fact that my own dental work was not purely cosmetic and also due to the fact that it is so widespread…so “normal.”

Wearing braces prevents many people from experiencing pain all of their lives due to overlapping teeth, uneven bites, etc and wearing them also makes it easier for people to care for their teeth. But who can say that cosmetic surgery doesn’t prevent just as much pain? Granted the pain prevented through cosmetic means is mostly psychological rather than physical. Is psychological pain not as serious, as hurtful?

No that’s not right. Psychological pain is just as hurtful, but plastic surgery is not the right way to correct it. I guess it all comes down to my feeling that these women shouldn’t think anything is wrong with them, rather they should learn to recognize that there is something wrong with the culture they are a part of.

Ah. My old opinions make so much more sense now. I hope you enjoyed my train of thought, that article got me very lost in my head for a little while.

The dentistry issue has still got me thinking however. I feel it is different, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. Maybe I’m just trying to justify the fact that I wore braces? Any thoughts?

One Response

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Liposuction Some of the Facts | Tumescent Liposuction Surgery Liposculpture