Evolution of Barbie’s Fashion

2009 February 25
by DC
Malibu Barbie (?)

Malibu Barbie (?)

Classic Barbie

Barbie and Ken

Barbie and Ken

To anyone who needs their daily fashion fix or just wants to procrastinate a bit, I just happened to stumble across a recent fashion show commemorating Barbie’s 50th Anniversary. The show was meant to kick off New York (aka Mercedes-Benz) Fashion Week that took place just this month. Styles go from classic, 1950’s striped bathing suits to, I daresay, contemporary with a space-age twist. I am surprised, though, that occupational styles for Barbie were not explored for the show. An updated version of a doctor’s white coat would have been nice to see, but that’s just my two cents.

http://nymag.com/fashion/fashionshows/2009/fall/main/newyork/womenrunway/barbie/

One Response
  1. Michelle Bennett permalink
    February 25, 2009

It’s also interesting to see the “Everyone needs a Ken!” shirt on the last Barbie model. While the statement seems to perpetuate the gender binary, but it makes light of it at the same time. Like Ken said on the fictional characters panel, Ken was created for Barbie as another kind of accessory. And the t-shirt seems to affirm this assumption.