The Stuff Downstairs… the body downstairs

2009 March 31
by Baibh Cathba

OMG. I have to credit Feministing the blog because it’s made of WIN. Absolute win. Especially for linking to THIS.

Which brings up an important question about gender and technology. If in a public forum one cannot name genitals as what they are, what’s the use of having them in the first place? It kind of reminds me of Gilead with the “shapeless dress” type thing and a bit about watchmen. What was most interesting about Watchmen was the directness with which things like rape and “downstairs” were addressed. I think we joked in class about the whole “night owl can’t get it up without help from a superhero costume” bit, but it was a frank discussion of things that are often glossed over. Gross? Perhaps. Vulgar? Possibly. Honest? Hell yes. Perhaps conversations about genitals would prevent things like… say misunderstandings? Majority of Women have a vagina. Majority of Men have a penis (if they have more than one, I don’t want to know). Is that so hard to say?

One Response
  1. George permalink
    April 1, 2009

Hahahahaha! That is sooo funny:D
    By far one of the best articles I have read from The Onion.

And as for Watchmen, I don’t know if you managed to watch the movie, but I’ve seen it twice now (the first time with my girlfriend and the second time because my little brother really wanted to watch it with me and I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I’d already seen it) and I even noticed this change in the dialogue on my first time around. It regards the moment you mentioned with your group, that Nightowl can’t “get it up” without his costume. In the novel he specifically says that he feels “impotent” when it comes to saving the world which echoes his performance in bed with Laurie. In the movie the “I” word was never uttered.

This annoyed me because The Silhouette’s lesbian relationship was made explicit (when in the novel it was only mentioned) so that the director could add a make-out scene with her partner and Dan’s impotency (whether it be in bed or in saving the world) was a forbidden thing to say. I just think that if the director (or producer… as I am not certain who had the final say in that change) was so concerned for making the men who are watching the film uncomfortable with their package’s abilities, then he should have considered that over half of the audience has probably already read the novel.