Silicone Cookware

2009 March 15
by Aline

Over the break, I did some baking. In the last few years we have begun to replace our old cookware with new silicone products. I really noticed the amount we have now in our kitchen at home. I went online to try to find out more about why baking technology has gone into the silicone field. I found very little, but I think it might be cheaper to make. Anyway, Wipedia’s page on silicone shows its multiple uses. I wonder how far it will go? Will silicone cover almost everything we use in the future? It already covers our cell phones, keyboards, and toys. Plus, it has a place most parts of the house.  Is this a technology that could unite gender or cause it to be more divided? I am not sure it will have any affect on gender. I think it will have more of an affect on the typically gendered space, where it is used. Here is a picture of some cookware I found on google:

Also here is the Wikipedia site in case anyone is curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

2 Responses
  1. Baibh Cathba permalink
    March 16, 2009

I think this is related to Michelle’s Post in the idea of cookware -> silicone -> breast implants thought process. It’s an interesting thought that silicone and women are so closely associated.

I wonder why silicone is considered to be a woman thing, whereas I kind of get the feeling that men and technology is a little more of a “grr! I is caveman” type thing. For some reason I come up with the nineteen-fifties housewife for feminine and monstertruck rock wielder as masculine when I think of silicone. Hmmmm.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. ADHD Strategies Child Behavior Check List For ADHD | Health Tips and Health Articles= «