Without Further Technical Difficulties…

2009 January 25
by Carrie Soto

Hello all! I, of course, had some difficulties getting my introduction posted but finally – it’s here!

I’m Carolyn Soto but I usually just go by Carrie. I’m a sophomore at BMC and a recently decided English major with a minor in Psychology. I came to Bryn Mawr as a Psych major but found that I was falling in love with the English classes and feeling very lukewarm about the Psychology classes. I took my first Gender and Sexuality class last semester and was a little overwhelmed with all of the theoretical texts we read so often. So far this class is proving to be much more interesting and less heavy in theory, or at least the most difficult kind.

I’ve never been very interested in technology. Being an only child, and a very feminine one at that, I didn’t spend much if any time playing video games in any way, shape, or form. I was actually hard pressed to remember my first moment of technology, it seems that my mother and I lived in the stone age for quite awhile.

I feel, however, that our generation has grown up with rapidly evolving technology, going from one new and shiny machine to the next. I wonder if this ever changing technology has created a different environment for us to grow up in. Has the constant demand for the newest gadget created a new divide between genders?

2 Responses
  1. lparrish permalink
    January 25, 2009

Hello,
    I’m Lindsey and I clearly am not too technologically savvy, as I still can’t figure out how to post properly. I have been thinking about my catholic schooling and the way that it was far behind in studying both technology AND gender. My school had strict uniform policies and there were clear ways to live life “properly” as a woman, to sit as a “lady”, to be seen and not heard. One female student attempted to take a class at the local career and technology center and was denied this, although any male student was permitted to take such classes. I am wondering if religion and/or religious education has bearing over the stigmas which still surround certain areas of gender and technology studies.

2. Baibh Cathba permalink
    January 26, 2009

Ooh! Religious education ^_^

Irish Catholic here, so I know what you mean. I learned that it is not proper to sit in a skirt without crossing your ankles, because God forbid you be seen as “loose of morals”. Also, keeping one’s knees together sends the message that things will not get in between them…

Technology is such a contradicting thing when discussing gender. I know that there was a joke that listed three reasons why a computer was seen as male or female, if I can find it again, I’ll post a reference to it.