Lolcat goes transgender?

2009 February 16
by Laura Blankenship

I’m not entirely sure what to think about this:

funny pictures of cats with captions
more animals

On the one hand, it’s obviously funny, but is it poking fun at someone else’s expense?

2 Responses
  1. Sugar Spice permalink
    February 16, 2009

Laura, I have to admit that I giggled when I saw this, but for a totally different reason.

Even though the cat is wearing a bright pink wig, we have no idea if it is male or female. (Though, the allusion seems to say that it is male) For all we know, it could be a female cat, wherein there is an added layer of ‘funny.’

On the other hand, I can understand if someone is upset by it. Especially Brittney Spears. 😀

2. Ruth Goodlaxson permalink
    February 17, 2009

Very strange. Personally I thought it was funnier without the text, when it was just a cat in a goofy wig! What’s problematic about it to me is that it ties the culturally feminine characteristics of the long pink hair to the absence of a penis – I think in class we talked briefly about why it’s problematic to say that being feminine is to lack a penis. But then again, you aren’t supposed to read that far into it. Maybe the humor actually emphasizes how arbitrary the femininity of long pink hair is?