Third Quarter Feedback
GAH! I’m late. I know this, and I apologize.
1. what connections have you seen among all the imaginative representations of gender and technology that we’ve looked @?
I really love the representations between technology and gender; I’ve noticed that they’re all “artsy”.I find it really intriguing that the imagery we examine in this class tends to be very sci-fi, fantastical or cautionary in nature. An odd combination, but a few of my favorite things to look at ^_^.
2. how do these works contribute to your understandings of gender, technology or the relations between them?
I think that THT, Watchmen, and the visuals that we presented during class led to a more complex definition of what technology meant. In THT, we discussed the possibility of the Handmaids being a technology themselves as they were not allowed to express “personhood” and were more robotic than anything else. What was interesting was that it was a definition that went straight to robot and completely bypassed a mention of cyborg. The media discussed in class for this quarter has made me expand the idea of technology.
3. any other feedback about how the class has been working the past three weeks, w/ all the small group work we’ve been doing? are there other things you’d like to be doing in class that we haven’t done yet, or that you’d like to do more of?
I enjoy the small groups. I can’t really say what I’d change, just that sometimes the conversations are so intriguing it’s hard to stop them in time to re-group for the big group again!
4. what concrete suggestions do you have in particular about wordpress functionality?
I admit, I’m a simple function kind of gal. I really have only one complaint: that we cannot imbed images or video in comments. It is a skill that severely cramps my response style. 😛 (Okay, two, why the heck does wordpress make my emoticons into more “yellowy-round” smilies? Sometimes I want my emoticon to be a colon and a P representing a tongue sticking out. Is this too hard for the insta-correction function?)
5. what has your experience been with posting and receiving on-line commentary on your papers?
I enjoy the online commentary on my papers, and wish that I had opened up a more conversational response to the previous two papers. I think it’s an interesting concept to never actually be done with a paper (even if it is “officially” over).
________And since everyone else was doing avatars______
It’s so… aDORKable!
My first WOW avatar… um… why the heck did I choose a priest? I hate healing. and passivity.
um… my “real” form in WOW. (Yes… it is a space alien… shhh.) TANK! Tanky tank tank. I am wearing so much blue it’s AWESOME.