3rd Quarter feedback

2009 April 7
by Alex M.

(please actually post this time!)

1. what connections have you seen among all the imaginative representations of gender and technology that we’ve looked @?
I was struck by the way Metropolis shows the female physical form being manipulated, while The Handmaid’s Tale used female abilities as a commodity. Watchmen just continued to show that gender stereotypes are still alive and well.

2. how do these works contribute to your understandings of gender, technology or the relations between them?
I’ve learned that it’s not always that gender affects technology’s formation, but also what is considered technology and that technology does not so much create gender as imitate it. The latter part is interesting to me because it seems like technology comes with the freedom to bend these gender norms, but in Metropolis we see that adhering to them can be used for other ends.

3. any other feedback about how the class has been working the past three weeks, w/ all the small group work we’ve been doing? are there other things you’d like to be doing in class that we haven’t done yet, or that you’d like to do more of?
I really like the small group work because it makes the class seem smaller and I get to hear a lot of opinions. I also like being able to talk to other people in the class and getting to know them. It also gives me the chance to talk about my ideas and develop them before I say anything to the class.

4. what concrete suggestions do you have in particular about wordpress functionality? (Laura and Anne have started a log here….)
The layout is kind of cluttered. There are a lot of links and sometimes it is difficult to find what I’m looking for. It might be nice to have a log in button somewhere around the top of the page.

5. what has your experience been with posting and receiving on-line commentary on your papers?
I find meeting with the instructor is more helpful in terms of receiving feedback. It really helps me to talk about my ideas. I think I like the idea of online commentary rather than the actual practice. Posting has been fine otherwise.