“Body as Technology”

2009 February 25
by Anne Dalke

I was just looking over my reading notes from this summer (when I was totally losing myself in the range of possibilities for this course), and I came across these passages, which seemed VERY resonant to me and which I thought might be of interest to some of you:

• from Susan Stryker’s “Transsexuality: The Postmodern Body and/as Technology.” 1995; rpt. The
    Cybercultures Reader.
    Ed. David Bell and Barbara N. Kennedy. New York: Routledge, 2000. 588-597:
    “body as technology” is a condition I have become comfortable with as a transsexual…a postulate that follow easily enough from the principle of performativity. Flesh is a medium, a means of an identity performance. All identifications are thus technologized…transsexuality foregrounds the necessity of instrumentalization through its blatant unnaturalness. The location of the body…is indistinguishable from technology, from instrumentalized means.
  • from an interview that Jeanette Winterson gave about her 2000 novel, The PowerBook:
    there isn’t… an old-fashioned plot line…TV and cinema have taken over the narrative function of the novel….That frees me up for story, for poetry and for language that does more than convey meaning.
    Not everyone will like this kind of thing will they? No. Not everyone likes Tate Modern.
    Why do you keep doing the gender bending? Because I’m queer….not straight-line, not belonging, tells me that gender is only the beginning of the story, not the last word. I like some ambiguity….I don’t want a unisex world…but I think we should have more fun with it, and the fun and the experiment is what Queer Culture is all about.
  • (from p. 121 of the novel:) Time is downloaded into our bodies. We contain it.